Pablo Picasso reminds us to continually sharpen the saw and never stop learning.
4:45am-Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.
5:00am- Finally up and now rushing.
5:15am-Pete is at the door with coffee in hand. He’s been ready to go.
5:30am-Pick John up and we’re off to the Vineyard!
5:31am-Thanking God for not having to drive/install.
As stated in my last post, I had the opportunity to go on a carpet installation with Pete and John. Here’s some of the things I learned from being on the job as one of the “guys”:
- Our team has Got. It. Going. On. The moment we pulled into the driveway, John says, “This is a take your shoes off kind of job”. Lo and behold, the “GC”(workroom talk) told us the first thing we need to do is take our shoes off. Umm can the guys read minds too?!
- After overhearing the other workers, I learned that this entire home needs to be done on Wednesday…so they have TWO DAYS. Talk about pressure. That didn’t seem to concern anyone. Always remain cool, calm, and collected while on the job. Pete and John are two of the easiest going guys around so this is not a hard task.
- Before carrying any equipment in, the guys checked out the scene. They wanted to go through the same entrance as all the other workers so if anything went array (holes in wall, scratches, chipped paint), it wasn’t automatically our doing.
- A stair job always starts out slow.
- When a “situation” arises, don’t make rash decisions. There is always a solution. Once those are figured out, it’s smooth sailing.
- The two most common reasons for stair runners are safety and dogs.
- Besides fashionable, a carpet on stairs is a perfect way to bring warmth into a home.
Note the white walls and black stairs. One of today’s hottest trends is using black and white as the neutral in a room. These two colors are fresh and clean. An added bonus is it’s so easy to add any color to them for a change of season or mood.
The Carpet Workroom has been providing carpet sales, installation, and consulting services for over 30 years. We are a New England based family business and an industry leader in Eco-Friendly carpeting focused on special order and custom carpet work for commercial and residential installation and design. We take pride in installation excellence.