Benefits of Wool Carpet and Rugs
Why choose wool for your carpet and rugs?
Wool carpet is the most ideal soft floorcovering for many reasons. It is durable, resilient, and most importantly a renewable resource. Wool fibers are natural which makes them long lasting, flame retardant, and resistant to dirt and crushing. For these reasons and many more, wool carpet is the easiest to clean and maintain.
Wool carpet, when dyed, excels in both its depth and color clarity. The color is locked into the wool rug or carpet and it can’t be rubbed off by walking on it or through the movement of furniture. This means your wool rug or carpet will retain its look for a long time than any other material.
Environmental responsibility is extremely important to us. Because of that, the majority of the brands that we carry are 100% wool. Wool is an amazingly sustainable flooring material because it comes from sheep fed on pastures and fueled by sunlight. This is reflected in the amount of energy it takes to make Wool, which is about 1/8th the energy it takes to make nylon.
Lastly, wool carpets are the healthiest choice for floor covering. Wool doesn’t give off toxins known as Volatile Organic Compounds, which are released from synthetic fibers. It is also non-allergenic and does not encourage growth of bacteria or dust mites. Wool rugs work as filters for dust, pollen, and spores keeping the air in your room as fresh as possible. You can even place your wool rug in the sunlight where the UV rays will kill any dust mites without any chemical products or treatments.
Other interesting facts about wool carpet:
- Wool carpet is ideal for installation which reduces heat loss in your home.
- Wool rugs are naturally 30% more stain resistant than the best synthetic fibers.
- Wool carpets are made from sheep from all over the world including Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, and Canada.
- Because they are organic, recycled wool rugs are used to line compost bins.
- You can spot clean wool carpet by using household products like diluted white vinegar.
- Because of the rising price of petroleum used to make synthetic materials, wool carpets and rugs are actually becoming more affordable
Wool Carpet and Rug Styles:
- Woven; Wilton, Axminster
- Flat weave
Popular Brands of Wool Rugs and Carpet:
- Stark Carpet
- Bellbridge Carpet
- Langhorne Carpet
- Couristan Carpet
- J. Mish Carpet
- Nourison Carpet
- Stanton Carpet
- Masland Carpet
- Prestige Mills Carpet
- Momeni Carpet
- Saxony Carpet
- Robertex Carpet